April 24, 2022
Self-Care Strategies & Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Aloha Yellow Jackets,

I began my new role at Georgia Tech last August.  Now, I can hardly believe that we are near the end of another academic year! With only a few days left of the semester, I want to take this opportunity to applaud you for getting to this point of your academic journey; it took perseverance and tenacity to do so.  I hope you each take the time to remember the obstacles you’ve overcome in the past months, as well as celebrate your successes, both big and small.  In fact, as the JED Foundation reminds us, it is essential to find “joy and connection, even—and especially—in the midst of great challenges.”

Self-Care Strategies
With finals around the corner, let me pivot now to another topic: the importance of self-care when managing stress. You can find a quick overview of some key self-care strategies.  However, I would like to highlight two in particular that have a high return on your effort:

• Sleep. In the ACHA National College Health Assessment survey from Spring 2020, one in five Georgia Tech students reported that sleep difficulties were an academic impediment – one of the top five. The average body needs 8+ hours of sleep to function properly.  Adequate sleep supports brain function, enhances concentration, and facilitates your ability to retain new information, as well as better manage anxiety and stress. Anything you can do to prioritize sleep now and in the coming days will contribute to your academic success.
  • Engage. In that same survey, Georgia Tech students cited the following as the top three contributors to academic difficulties: procrastination (47.8%), stress (35.8%), and anxiety (26.9%). What do all three have in common? If you get outside of your headspace and instead engage with the world around you, you can more readily combat procrastination, reduce stress, or manage anxiety. Engaging with the external world can take many forms: get involved with a club or community organization, spend time with friends or family, listen to live music or visit a museum, take a walk in your favorite green space, or participate in pet therapy (this is why I am the lucky parent of two fur babies myself!). It doesn’t matter how long you break to engage – just ensure the engagement is a quality one, in which you are “all in.”

FYI, the Counseling Center will be extending “Let’s Talk" hours at the beginning of this week. And because times of elevated stress can sometimes be triggering for victims and survivors, there are always VOICE advocates who are available to support students: you can call (404) 894-9000 24 hours a day. And be sure to bookmark this page on your phone or browser as it includes all the health and wellness resources that are available for our students. 

Sexual Assault Awareness Month
Lastly, I would be remiss if I did not offer some thoughts as we near the end of Sexual Assault Awareness Month (April). As we approach the 50th anniversary of the passage of Title IX, I want to first and foremost reiterate our institutional commitment to a living-learning-working environment that is free of sexual harassment and sexual violence. Consistent with our Georgia Tech sexual misconduct policy, Georgia Tech will take the necessary steps to review and respond whenever we receive a complaint. We offer emotional support and interim remedies to all complainants who come forward. Because an earmark of our response procedures involves fair process, we reserve judgment against any individuals who are named as respondents until a full inquiry has been completed.

As Georgia Tech continues to grapple with sexual assault in our community, conversations on social media can be extremely difficult for many of us – even triggering for some, especially those of us who are victims and survivors. I encourage all Yellow Jackets to engage each other in these important dialogues with courage and with compassion. As a reminder, students who wish to report an incident of sexual assault have several reporting options. Combatting rape and relationship violence requires the collective efforts of all – we must each be part of the needed change. If you would like to become part of the solution to prevent sexual violence at Georgia Tech and beyond, please check out Health Initiatives to volunteer. 

Final Thoughts
The finish line is so close you can see it coming up. I and others on the faculty, staff and administration across Georgia Tech are rooting for your success and cheering you on to the final steps. You have gotten this far, and I have faith you can and will finish to the very best of your ability.  For those students who are graduating, congratulations! I wish you the absolute best in your future endeavors – in both good and tough times. Please stay in touch: I look forward to learning where the world takes you and where you take the world!!  

Go Jackets!

Blank Space (small)
(text and background only visible when logged in)
Luoluo
Dr. Luoluo Hong
Vice President for Student Engagement & Well‐Being